storia.jpg

Our

history

BRAVA

Genoa, 1926

The BRAVA history begins in the years just after the first world war. Mr. Ryland, the owner of a paint factory in Birmingham, England, made acquaintance with Mr. Basso from Italy. Very soon they found out that they were of the same opinion in most questions and became close friends.

The RYLAND factory in Birmingham which was established in the begin of I800, had at that time very high reputation and especially for their yacht paints. Mr. Basso and Mr. Ryland immediately decided to set up a new RYLAND paint factory in Italy. In Genoa, March 1926, the new company BRAVA was born (BRAVA , standing for Basso Ryland Anonima Vernici Affini).

The original formulas, together with the technical "know how" and also labels with their prestigious image in Victorian age yacht style, were handed over to BRAVA.

Very soon the BRAVA company became one of the leading Italian paint manufacturers specialized in yacht paints and varnishes. BRAVA varnishes, enamel and antifoulings defended the most famous Italian ships as "Giulio Cesare", "Augustus", "Saturnia" and "Vulcania".

BRAVA now, even if expanded in some other corners of paint world, has in yacht paints the company's main market, a market in which the quality of the products has an absolute importance. BRAVA is in the forefront and has a leading position in several fields. The old prestigious labels, that have been preserved, is today used on classical clear varnish RYLARD.

NUBIAN

Trieste, 1875

In 1875, Vittorio Grego, a businessman from Trieste, started producing an antifouling paint.  This was one of the first antifouling paints ever produced in the world, and was composed of powdered copper, which gave the painted hulls a golden appearance. 

For this reason, Vittorio Grego named this paint ‘Nubiana’, after Nubia, a region in ancient Egypt from whence the pharaoh’s gold originated.

In the second half of the 1800s, antifouling paints were being developed in Trieste, Genoa, and the United Kingdom. 

The purpose of these paints was to protect the hulls of wooden ships from marine growth, which weighs and slows down the vessels. 

Previously, the wooden ship hulls were lined with copper sheeting.

Vittorio Grego’s ‘Nubiana’ paint immediately proved effective and rapidly dominated the mediterranean market.  It then also spread to South America and South Africa.  Nubiana became the leading paint for fishing fleets, whilst other paints produced in Trieste specialised in warships and merchant ships.

Since then, Vittorio Grego changed its name to Nubian, and has specialised in the yachting sector, increasing its range of products and its distribution throughout Italy and abroad, within the mediterranean basin. 

From year 1996 Nubian joined the group Brava.

EUROMECI

Genoa, 1969

Euromeci, initially founded as Eurochimica in the late sixties by brothers Giuliano and Marco Pesto, born as an importer of the American product for naval cleaning Penetone.

Quickly products such Ferrotone and Nave Eco impose themselves in the boating market in the years of the field start.

Over the years the Euromeci, abandoned the role of imports, has expanded its range of products both on the side of the recreational craft and on that of the merchant navy, creating specific product lines for the care and cleaning of any boat.

Today Euromeci is a national leader in boat care.

From year 2003 Euromeci joined the group Brava.

 

B.R.A.V.A. S.r.l. - IT00361120108

©2020 brava.it